Eleven sites of significance to Indiana’s African-American history are receiving restoration and rehabilitation assistance from a fund created by the late chemist Eli Lilly and conservation champion Standiford “Stan” Cox.
Grants totaling $ 190,000 are distributed by the Standiford H. Cox Fund to sites across the state.
Stan Cox, who died in 2019, joined Eli Lilly and Co. in 1957 as the first black chemist. He created both funds with the Central Indiana Community Foundation (CICF) to support the restoration, preservation, operation and ongoing maintenance of African American historic sites in Indiana.
The 11 organizations that receive grants are listed below, along with a brief description of how the funds will be used.
Fox Lake Preservation Foundation, Steuben County: $ 15,000 for the rehabilitation of KT Thompson Lodge, which served as a lodge for the isolated resort community of Fox Lake established in 1927.
Friends of the Town Clock Church Inc., New Albany: $ 7,500 to restore a gasoline-powered light fixture that once served as the centerpiece of the sanctuary in the 1852 building.
Historic Eleutherian College Inc., Lancaster: $ 15,000 for the first phase of a plaster wall and ceiling restoration project in the Greek Revival building from 1855.
Leora Brown School Inc., Corydon: $ 10,000 for the repair and rehabilitation of the building constructed in 1891 as the Corydon Colored School.
Lyles Station Historic Preservation Corp. Inc .: $ 25,000 to continue the rehabilitation of the Joseph Lucas House for use as an interpretation center.
Roberts Chapel Homecoming and Burial Association Inc., Atlanta: $ 10,000 to repair water damaged plaster in the 1858 church and restore damaged 19th century gravestones in the adjacent cemetery.
Shaffer Chapel AME Church, Muncie: $ 12,500 for the restoration of the stained glass windows in the building circa 1893.
Southeastern District Association, Inc., New Albany: $ 15,000 to build two canopies to house the entrances to the First Baptist Church in West Baden Springs, an early 20th-century church originally built as a place of worship for Afro staff -American West Hotel Baden Springs.
Union Literary Institute Preservation Society, Randolph County: $ 40,000 for the critical stabilization of the 1860 building that housed one of the first pre-Civil War schools to offer higher education regardless of color or gender.
Washington Street Church of God, Gary: $ 25,000 for repairs and roof stabilization of the 1928 Campbell Friendship House.
Wayman Chapel AME Church, Gibson County: $ 15,000 for essential repairs to the foundation and ceiling of the 1887 church sanctuary.
“Partnering with Indiana Landmarks allows us to honor Stan’s legacy by caring for sites important to our state’s African American history,” said Tamara Winfrey-Harris, vice president of community leadership and effective philanthropy at CICF.
“These grants that we are making in conjunction with the Central Indiana Community Foundation will translate into concrete proof of Stan Cox’s visionary generosity,” said Mark Dollase, vice president of preservation services at Indiana Landmarks. “Its impact on our condition is immeasurable. “
The Standiford H. Cox Fund supports the restoration, preservation, operation and ongoing maintenance of African American historic sites in Indiana. In addition to this fund, Stan Cox also established the Dovie Stewart Cox & Chester A. Cox, Sr. Memorial Fund in honor of his parents to support the Lost Creek Community Grove at Lost Creek Settlement near Terre Haute, the one of the first colonies of free people of color. The Indiana Landmarks African-American Monuments Committee serves as a preservation advisor for both funds, recommending projects.
Born in Brazil, Indiana, Cox was an Indiana University graduate who worked for 32 years for Eli Lilly and Co., starting as a chemist and holding various positions during his career. A member of Phi Beta Kappa, the country’s most prestigious academic society, he also earned a Masters degree from Butler University. An advocate for academic biochemical research, he endowed the Standiford H. Cox Chair in Biochemistry at Indiana University at Bloomington.