SCHENECTADY – Two city properties dating from the early 1900s may soon be included in the state and federal registers of historic places.
Last week, the state’s Board of Historic Preservation recommended adding 21 properties across New York state to the state and national registers of historic places. Nominations include the former Schenectady Public Market House and Ladder House as well as the Schenectady Savings Bank building along State Street.
If added to the registers, properties would become eligible for many public preservation programs, including grants and tax credits.
“New York is home to so many historic gems of industry and culture, and with these appointments these places can truly be recognized,” Governor Kathy Hochul said in a statement. âBy including them in historical records, it ensures that resources are available to maintain these meaningful reminders of the past. “
Built in 1915, the Schenectady Public Market was recommended for the National Register for “its role in the development of government-regulated public commerce,” according to a state-submitted registration form.
The two-acre property is located near the downtown core of the city, adjoining Broadway, Van Guysling Avenue, and Clinton and Hamilton Streets, and includes a two-story house that was built at roughly the same era. The building was used to weigh supplies and housed a number of municipal offices that oversaw the market.
The property is now used as a parking lot, but still retains many of its original features, according to registration. The market functioned until the 1970s and the scale house functioned as intended until 1939 when it was converted into a “public toilet block.”
âThe Schenectady Public Market was established in 1915 near downtown Schenectady to serve the city’s growing industries and commercial spaces at the turn of the 20th century,â the entry form reads. âGrowing traffic congestion and growing concern from municipal authorities over consumer safety led the city to establish the public market as a centralized place where regional agricultural products and local butcher’s meat could be weighed and inspected beforehand. public purchase. “
Meanwhile, the Schenectady Savings Bank building, located at 500 State Street, was constructed in 1905 and was designed by William Ten Broeck Mynderse. The building, which features a marble facade, underwent three renovations and additions in 1927, 1952, and 1973, although the 1973 addition is not considered for historic preservation.
Today the building is occupied by a Bank of America.
The Schenectady Savings Bank was established in 1834 and has become the city’s most important banking institution, according to the registration form.
But the bank’s reputation took a hit during the Great Depression when it seized a number of local properties. In order to regain public trust, the bank underwent a number of renovations after World War II, when banks across the country sought to redefine themselves and become more attractive to customers.
âSchenectady Savings Bank is importantâ¦ in the field of commerce for its long association with one of the most important financial institutions in the city and in particular for its association with the national changes in the banking sector which began after the Depression and peaked after WWII as banks sought to restore confidence in the banking industry and to redefine themselves as part of the retail industry, âthe registration form reads.
Once the recommendations are approved by the state’s historic preservation official, the properties will be placed on the New York State Register of Historic Places. From there, the properties are entered in the national register, where they are examined before being added.
Contact reporter Chad Arnold at: 518-410-5117 or [emailÂ protected]. Follow him on Twitter: @ChadGArnold.
More from The Daily Gazette:
Categories: News, Schenectady County